We recently reminded our trainers to send in their vacation requests. We typically ask for this information at the beginning of the year, but we understand that things come up. As we approach summer….we are starting to get more requests for time off. We would like to have all vacation requests well in advance. This is to ensure that we don’t have too many trainers gone at the same time and so that we can prepare for the absence of trainers. Our general rule is to not allow more than 2 trainers to be absent at the same time. This will differ depending on how many clients you have and how many trainers you have.
Don’t forget to sign up to automatically receive my latest blog post in your inbox!
Right at the top of the page.
We like to remind our team that ideal times to take off are:
- Holidays when clients will likely be out…
- Spring Break
- End of November
- End of December
And…..not ideal times to take time off are:
- Beginning of November
We request this of our trainers because we want to ensure consistency for our clients and when trainers take time off it can disrupt their workout routine. We like to encourage our trainers to take time off during the months that our clients usually vacation the most.
Our policy at Northwest Personal Training is that if a personal trainer is on vacation or out sick….. their clients will be covered by another available trainer. This is important for a variety of reasons:
- It is not healthy for a client to become dependent on only one trainer because in the event that that trainer leaves the company, the client may feel abandoned. It is far better for a client to get to know and be trained by a variety of different trainers so they can develop a strong connection with the entire staff. This then causes them to be accountable to more than just one trainer – now the entire team acknowledges them when they are in the gym working out. This will improve adherence and compliance.
- Every trainer has his or her own style and so, it is a nice physical change for a client to experience another trainer’s unique style.
- When trainers work together by covering each other’s clients, it presents a unified, team atmosphere.
- Finally, the business continues to be viable even when a trainer is away.
So ask your team to send in their vacation requests for the rest of the year. Make a plan. Ensure that your clients’ commitment and results aren’t disrupted when a trainer is out.
Yours in health, fitness & business,
Learn exactly how we manage time off and more. Get everything you need to run a successful fitness business with the same system I wrote and use at our facilities every day…..
Hey did you know that I wrote the ONLY complete training business system designed to help you run a million dollar personal training business?! You can have this same business system that will help you work SMARTER and generate HUGE profits like we do here at Northwest Personal Training. The fee to purchase the Business of Personal Training System can be made up within 1 month of increased PT sales and there are NO recurring franchise or licensing fees.A comparable business system in other industries would require an initial investment of tens of thousands of dollars.
DON’T REINVENT THE WHEEL! Let us give YOU the systems that we know work!