I have shared many of my small group training tips with you, but today I want to focus on large group training. We have recently had some very large boot camp groups. Here are the strategies I use to ensure everyone gets an effective workout, things run smoothly and everyone stays safe.
When you have that large of a group, you need to consider the types of exercise, equipment, sequencing and how to divide the group so it’s not pure chaos. I choose to keep it really simple and perform mostly body weight exercises.
Don’t forget to sign up to automatically receive my blog posts……right up here!
My Large Group Training Strategies:
- Divide the group into 2 groups so half is doing some kind of cardio drill while the other half does the strength circuit (lower body, upper body, core).
- Allow 5 minutes at each station
- Having a time limit keeps things simple. No rep counting! Have everyone do 15-20 of each of the 3 exercises and keep going until the 5 minutes is over.
- Keep the exercises simple
- No worrying about too many technical cues and people can easily execute the movements.
- Exercise explanations are quick so you can get the whole group working out pretty quickly.
You can run a large group workout that everyone will be talking about…..as long as take a simple approach and follow strategies like these!,
Here are is a sample large group workout that incorporates all fitness components and is balanced your participants aren’t doing too much of one thing back to back.
- Squats/Pushups/Bicycles – Stairs (5 min each = 10 minutes total)
- Stepups/Dips/Planks – Hill repeats (5 min each = 10 minutes total)
- Lunges – Line Drills (2 min each = 4 minutes total)
- Cool down
Yours in health, fitness & business,
Want to be a running coach? Join us and running expert (and 2011 IDEA Personal Trainer of the Year) Dr. Jason Karp. for his cutting edge running coach certification. Sunday July 22nd in Vancouver, WA! The REVO2LUTION RUNNING™ certification is a PhD-level running education program for fitness professionals and coaches specifically designed to provide the required skill and expertise to train runners and to teach the exclusive REVO2LUTION RUNNING™ workout program. Are you a runner? You can join too!
Hey! I will be presenting at the 2018 IDEA World Conference at the end of June. IHRSA is a must attend for owners and managers (or aspiring owners/managers) in the fitness industr
y and IDEA World is the largest Fitness Professional conference in the US. If you’ve never been to this conference, you have to promise me that you’ll put it on your list of Mus
t-Dos. It will absolutely change your career and open your eyes to so many opportunities and possibilities. Use my exclusive presenter discount to get $30 off your registration to the IDEA World Convention!
Hey did you know that I wrote the ONLY complete training business system designed to help you run a million dollar personal training business?! You can have this same business system that will help you work SMARTER and generate HUGE profits like we do here at Northwest Personal Training. The fee to purchase the Business of Personal Training System can be made up within 1 month of increased PT sales and there are NO recurring franchise or licensing fees.A comparable business system in other industries would require an initial investment of tens of thousands of dollars.
DON’T REINVENT THE WHEEL! Let us give YOU the systems that we know work!